Did you know that Kathmandu, the capital city of Nepal, is home to over 100 gardens and parks? These green spaces not only provide a respite from the bustling city life but also offer a glimpse into the rich cultural heritage of the region. From the enchanting Garden of Dreams to the panoramic views of Manjushree Park, there is something for everyone to explore and enjoy. So, why not discover the hidden treasures of Kathmandu's gardens and parks and immerse yourself in the beauty and serenity they have to offer?
We are supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, at no extra cost for you. Learn more.
Garden of Dreams
If you're looking for a peaceful retreat in the heart of Kathmandu, step into the Garden of Dreams. This serene oasis, renovated by an Austrian team, offers a tranquil escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. Built in the 1920s, the Garden of Dreams is a place of historic charm, with its original gate, marble inscription, fountain, and picturesque ponds.
As you enter the Garden of Dreams, you'll immediately feel a sense of calm wash over you. The peaceful ambiance and lush greenery create a haven of tranquility amidst the chaos of Kathmandu. This beautifully landscaped park is the perfect place to relax and unwind, surrounded by the soothing sound of water flowing from the fountains and the gentle rustle of leaves.
One of the highlights of the Garden of Dreams is its collection of ponds. These shimmering bodies of water are not only aesthetically pleasing but also serve as habitats for various aquatic plants and creatures. As you stroll along the pathways, you'll come across different types of lilies, lotus flowers, and water lilies, adding to the botanical beauty of the garden.
To experience the Garden of Dreams, you simply need to pay a small entry fee of 2 USD. This fee helps to maintain the garden and preserve its historic charm for future generations. It's a small price to pay for the serenity and tranquility that awaits you within this hidden gem in Kathmandu.
Shivapuri Nagarjun National Park
Now let's explore the natural wonders of Shivapuri Nagarjun National Park, located just 15 km from Kathmandu. This expansive park covers a vast area across multiple districts and offers a multitude of outdoor adventures for nature lovers and mountain thrill seekers alike.
- Hiking: Lace up your boots and embark on the numerous hiking trails that traverse the park. From leisurely strolls to challenging treks, there is something for every level of hiker. As you ascend through the lush forests, be prepared to be enchanted by the breathtaking vistas of the surrounding mountains.
- Biking: Grab your bike and get ready for an exhilarating ride through the park's rugged terrain. Feel the wind in your hair as you navigate the twisting paths and adrenaline-inducing descents. Biking in Shivapuri Nagarjun National Park is a thrilling experience that will surely satisfy your adventurous spirit.
- Nature Walking: Take a leisurely stroll amidst the diverse flora and fauna that call this park home. Immerse yourself in the tranquility of the surroundings as you listen to the melodious chirping of birds and the rustling of leaves under your feet. Nature walking in this serene environment is a perfect way to reconnect with the natural world.
With its entry fee of just 5 USD, Shivapuri Nagarjun National Park is easily accessible for visitors. So, whether you are a hiking enthusiast, a biking fanatic, or simply a nature lover, make sure to include this park in your itinerary when exploring the outdoor wonders of Kathmandu. Get ready for a thrilling adventure amidst the diverse flora and fauna of Shivapuri Nagarjun National Park.
As you step into Manjushree Park, you will be greeted by a vibrant display of park attractions and stunning scenic views. The park boasts an array of lush greenery and natural surroundings, creating a serene and peaceful atmosphere. Whether you're a nature enthusiast or simply seeking a tranquil escape from the city, Manjushree Park offers the perfect setting for relaxation and rejuvenation.
Manjushree Park, located near Manjushree cave, offers visitors a serene environment to immerse themselves in the stunning panoramic views of Kathmandu. As you step into the park, you will be greeted by the breathtaking beauty of the Kathmandu Valley. Here are some attractions that make Manjushree Park a must-visit destination:
- Peaceful Surroundings: Take a break from the hustle and bustle of the city and enjoy the tranquility of this park. The serene atmosphere allows you to escape into a world of calm and relaxation.
- Free-Entry: Unlike many other parks, Manjushree Park welcomes visitors without any entry fee. Enjoy the beauty of nature without any financial constraints.
- Perfect for Sightseeing and Photography: Capture the picturesque landscape of Kathmandu from the vantage point of Manjushree Park. The park's panoramic views make it an ideal spot for sightseeing and photography enthusiasts.
Immerse yourself in the beauty of Manjushree Park and experience the freedom of exploring nature's wonders.
Immerse yourself in the breathtaking beauty of Manjushree Park as you take in the panoramic views of the Kathmandu Valley. This park, named after a Chinese saint, offers a serene atmosphere and holds great cultural significance. As you enter the park, you'll be delighted to know that there is free entry, making it accessible to both locals and tourists. Manjushree Park is a popular spot for sightseeing and photography, with its picture-perfect views of the city and the surrounding landscapes. Whether you're a nature lover or simply seeking a tranquil escape, this park is the perfect place to unwind and connect with nature. So, don't miss the chance to visit Manjushree Park and experience the beauty and tranquility it has to offer.
Balaju Water Garden
Nestled 5 km northwest of Kathmandu, the Balaju Water Garden is a serene oasis that captivates visitors with its 22 stone water spouts adorned with intricately carved crocodile heads. As you enter this enchanting garden, you are immediately greeted by the soothing sound of flowing water and the refreshing scent of blooming flowers.
- The stone water spouts, each unique in their design, create a mesmerizing display of cascading water. The crocodile heads, meticulously carved, add a touch of mystique to the surroundings, giving the garden an air of ancient elegance.
- The garden also boasts a public swimming pool, inviting you to take a dip and cool off on a hot day. Surrounded by lush greenery, the pool provides the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of the city.
- As you explore further, you will discover the vibrant flower gardens that adorn the Balaju Water Garden. A kaleidoscope of colors and fragrances greet you at every turn, creating a sensory experience that is truly unforgettable.
In addition to its stunning water features and flower gardens, Balaju Water Garden is also home to fish ponds, where you can observe a variety of fish species gracefully swimming in their natural habitat. The tranquil atmosphere of the garden makes it an ideal place to relax, unwind, and connect with nature.
The best part? Entry to Balaju Water Garden is absolutely free, allowing everyone to enjoy the beauty and tranquility of this hidden gem. So, whether you are a nature enthusiast, a photography lover, or simply seeking a peaceful retreat, the Balaju Water Garden is a must-visit destination in Kathmandu.
Godwari Botanical Garden
Godwari Botanical Garden, located in Kathmandu, offers a captivating experience for nature lovers with its diverse flora and serene surroundings. Nestled amidst lush hills, this botanical garden is a haven for bird watchers. As you enter the garden, you will be greeted by a symphony of chirping birds and the fragrance of exotic flowers. The garden is known for its wide variety of plant species, both exotic and local. Whether you are a botany enthusiast or simply someone who appreciates the beauty of nature, Godwari Botanical Garden will not disappoint.
For bird watchers, Godwari Botanical Garden is a paradise. The tranquil atmosphere and abundant foliage provide the perfect habitat for various bird species. If you visit on a working day, you are likely to spot a myriad of colorful birds perched on branches or soaring through the sky. It is a sight that will leave you in awe of the wonders of nature.
As you stroll through the garden, you will be immersed in serenity. The peaceful ambiance, coupled with the beauty of the flora, creates a sense of calm and freedom. You can take your time to explore the different plant species, from towering trees to delicate flowers. The diversity of flora in Godwari Botanical Garden is truly remarkable.
One of the best things about this botanical garden is that entry is free. It is a budget-friendly option for nature lovers who want to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. You can spend hours wandering through the garden, taking in the sights and sounds, without worrying about the cost.
Located near Chandragiri Hill, Tribhuvan Park offers a vibrant and colorful environment enriched with diverse trees and flowers. Established in 1972 by King Birendra in Thankot, this park is a true testament to the beauty of nature. As you enter Tribhuvan Park, you are immediately greeted by a diverse array of trees and flowers that create a mesmerizing and vibrant environment. The park is home to a wide variety of species, including towering trees and blooming flowers, which add to the overall charm and beauty of the place.
Tribhuvan Park is not just a visual treat, but also a place where you can engage in various recreational activities. The park offers spacious playing grounds for visitors to enjoy outdoor games and sports. Whether you're a fan of cricket, football, or simply want to have a picnic with your friends and family, Tribhuvan Park provides the perfect setting for all your recreational needs.
When it comes to entrance fees, Tribhuvan Park offers different options depending on the type of visitor and activities they wish to engage in. The fees are reasonable and worth every penny considering the serene and natural escape that the park provides from the hustle and bustle of the city.
As you approach Sundarijal Waterfalls, you'll be greeted by the sight of majestic cascades that flow gracefully down the rocky terrain. The natural beauty of the surroundings is truly breathtaking, with lush greenery and vibrant flora adorning the area. Walking along the trails, you'll be captivated by the serene atmosphere and the soothing sound of water rushing down the falls.
Immerse yourself in the enchanting beauty of Sundarijal Waterfalls, where cascading waters and lush greenery create a serene oasis just 17 km northeast of Kathmandu. Here are three reasons why this destination is a must-visit for nature enthusiasts:
- Gateway to Shivapuri National Park: Sundarijal Waterfalls serve as the entrance to the stunning Shivapuri National Park, offering a perfect starting point for exploring the park's diverse flora and fauna.
- Exciting Activities: Whether you're into day hiking, swimming, picnicking, or bike riding, Sundarijal Waterfalls has something for everyone. Feel the adrenaline rush as you hike through the scenic trails or cool off in the refreshing waters of the falls.
- Budget-Friendly Escape: With free entry, Sundarijal Waterfalls is a budget-friendly option for those seeking a nature-filled adventure near Kathmandu. Unwind in the midst of lush greenery without breaking the bank.
Escape the hustle and bustle of the city and experience the freedom of nature at Sundarijal Waterfalls.
Experience the breathtaking beauty of Sundarijal Waterfalls as you immerse yourself in the tranquil oasis of cascading waters and lush greenery. Located 17 km northeast of Kathmandu, Sundarijal Waterfalls serve as the gateway to Shivapuri National Park. This natural beauty spot offers a range of activities for outdoor enthusiasts. Embark on a day hike through the park, taking in the stunning views and refreshing atmosphere. If you're looking to cool off, take a dip in the crystal-clear waters of the falls, or find a shady spot for a peaceful picnic amidst the verdant surroundings. For those seeking adventure, bike riding along the scenic trails is a popular choice. Sundarijal Waterfalls provide an idyllic setting for couples and friend groups to create unforgettable memories in nature's embrace. With free entry, this outdoor paradise is accessible to all who desire a liberating escape.
Surrounded by lush greenery and hills, Taudaha Lake in Kathmandu offers you a peaceful retreat with its serene atmosphere and abundant bird watching opportunities. As you arrive at this freshwater lake, you'll be greeted by the breathtaking beauty of the surrounding landscape. The tranquil waters of Taudaha Lake reflect the vibrant colors of the lush greenery that envelops it, creating a picturesque scene that will leave you in awe.
Here are three reasons why Taudaha Lake is a must-visit destination:
- Bird watching: Taudaha Lake is a haven for bird enthusiasts. With over 70 species of birds, including majestic herons, kingfishers, and cormorants, you'll have the opportunity to witness these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat. As you stroll along the lake's shores, the melodious songs of the birds will serenade you, creating a harmonious symphony that adds to the tranquility of the surroundings.
- Boating: Embrace the freedom of the open waters by embarking on a boating adventure at Taudaha Lake. Hop aboard a boat and navigate through the calm waters while enjoying the gentle breeze and the mesmerizing views of the hills. Whether you choose to row your own boat or hire a local guide, the experience of gliding across the lake will leave you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
- Nature's mystical charm: Legend has it that Taudaha Lake was formed from a colossal lake, adding to its mystical allure. The stillness of the lake, coupled with the lush greenery and hills that surround it, creates an otherworldly atmosphere that is hard to resist. Take a moment to immerse yourself in this natural wonder, allowing the beauty and tranquility to wash over you.
At Taudaha Lake, nature's wonders unfold before your eyes, offering you a sense of freedom and a chance to reconnect with the natural world. So, pack your bags, grab your binoculars, and escape to this peaceful retreat where the beauty of nature awaits you.
Langtang National Park
As you venture into the realm of Langtang National Park, you'll find yourself immersed in a sprawling oasis of biodiversity and awe-inspiring views of the majestic Himalayas. Known as the first Himalayan National Park, Langtang National Park is the fourth national park in Nepal. Extending to an altitude of 6,450 meters, this park covers an area of 1,710 square kilometers. It is a haven for nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts, offering diverse flora and fauna.
When you visit Langtang National Park during autumn or spring, you'll be greeted with optimal weather conditions. The park showcases a wide range of plant species, including rhododendrons, oak, maple, and bamboo. These vibrant and colorful flowers create a picturesque landscape that will leave you in awe. The park is also home to various wildlife species, such as red pandas, Himalayan black bears, and snow leopards. Birdwatchers will be delighted by the presence of over 300 species of birds, including the colorful Himalayan Monal and the elusive Satyr Tragopan.
For outdoor adventurers and trekking enthusiasts, Langtang National Park offers an abundance of opportunities. The park is a popular destination for treks, ranging from short hikes to challenging expeditions. As you traverse through the park's rugged terrain, you'll be rewarded with stunning views of snow-capped peaks, including Langtang Lirung, Dorje Lakpa, and Shishapangma. The panoramic vistas from Kyanjin Ri and Tserko Ri are particularly breathtaking, allowing you to soak in the grandeur of the Himalayas.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which National Park Is Closest to Kathmandu?
The closest national park to Kathmandu is Shivapuri Nagarjun National Park. It offers popular hiking trails, wildlife sanctuaries, cultural heritage sites, and adventure activities. You can also find stunning viewpoints and bird watching spots near Kathmandu.
Which Place Is Best for Picnic in Kathmandu?
Looking for the best place for a picnic in Kathmandu? Tribhuvan Park in Thankot village is a popular choice. With its serene atmosphere, lush surroundings, and open 24 hours, it's the ideal spot for a relaxing outdoor gathering.
Which Small Village Is Near Kathmandu?
Thankot village, near Kathmandu, is a peaceful escape from city life. Enjoy local cuisine, traditional festivals, cultural heritage sites, and traditional handicrafts. Explore local farming practices, folklore, trekking trails, music, dance, historical landmarks, and community initiatives.
What Is the Name of the Garden in Nepal?
The garden in Nepal is called the 'Garden of Dreams.' It's a popular tourist attraction in Kathmandu due to its historical significance, cultural events, and serene atmosphere. You can experience mental well-being and enjoy the unique flora and fauna found in this garden.